[imc-presse] Save the Date - “Accountability for Torture in Syria - Sweden's role in the struggle against impunity", 20 Feb., Stockholm

ECCHR - European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights event at ecchr.eu
Fri Jan 18 10:02:21 CET 2019

 If this e-mail is not displayed correctly, please click HERE
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/m/11192686/0-09b9f0694cf1edbf10469a2a8d6a5336
.

SAVE THE DATE

“ACCOUNTABILITY FOR TORTURE IN SYRIA – Sweden‚s role in the struggle
against Impunity”

on Wednesday, 20 FEBRUARY 2019, 6 PM
at MEDELHAVSMUSEET, Fredsgatan 2 - Stockholm, Sweden

You can find the invitation in Arabic here
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37194135/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
.

Torture, enforced disappearances and executions of political opponents,
journalists, and other civilians are only some of the crimes committed by
the government of Syria’s president Bashar al-Assad and the other parties
to the conflict.

These grave crimes widely go unpunished in Syria. Therefore, torture
survivors, relatives, human rights defenders, and lawyers have been
documenting the crimes in order to bring those responsible to justice
outside Syria – for example by using legal means in Europe.

Several European states opened criminal investigations to hold those
accountable who have committed international crimes. As a result,
perpetrators from different parties to the conflict were convicted. In
Sweden, this could be made possible through the principle of universal
jurisdiction, which allows Swedish authorities to investigate and conduct
judicial proceedings in relation to international crimes. In other European
countries such as Germany and France, criminal complaints have contributed
to arrest warrants
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37184877/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
 against key figures within Assad’s torture system.

We welcome to an event that will discuss the role Sweden can play in the
international efforts to hold to account those responsible for some of the
most egregious crimes of our times. Among the speakers are torture
survivors, representatives from Syrian and European human rights
organizations.

WHERE: Medelhavsmuseet
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37184878/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
, Fredsgatan 2, Stockholm
WHEN: 20 February 2019, 6 - 8:30 PM

*The event will be held in English and Arabic. **Admission to the event is
free of charge.*

Please, save the date - an invitation with more information and a link to
register will be sent out shortly.

Contact:
Civil Rights Defenders - Tel: +46 (0)8 545 277 30, E-Mail: rsvp at crd.org
mailto:rsvp at crd.org

 ANABEL BERMEJO - Tel: +49 (0)172 587 00 87, E-Mail: bermejo at ecchr.eu
mailto:bermejo at ecchr.eu

MORE EVENTS

SAVE THE DATE

“FIVE YEARS AFTER THE DEADLY PUSH-BACKS IN CEUTA – Spanish-Moroccan
Policies Today”

on Monday, 4 FEBRUARY 2019, 6:30 PM
at ECCHR, Zossener Str. 55-58 - 10961 Berlin

On 6 February 2014, at least 15 migrants and refugees died in the course of
a brutal push-back operation
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37157536/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
 by the Guardia Civil in the Spanish enclave of Ceuta. Five years later, no
one has been held accountable for these deaths, though an investigation was
opened. At ECCHR, we wish to honor and commemorate those who succumbed in
Ceuta at the beach of El Tarajal five years ago and discuss the situation
of migrants and refugees in both Spain and Morocco today.
More information here.
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37157535/df16aeaf470f-plirrx

http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37157535/df16aeaf470f-plirrx

SAVE THE DATE

“Law versus Power – Our Global Fights for Human Rights
Spanish-Moroccan Policies Today”

on Wednesday, 6 FEBRUARY 2019, 7 PM
at DENKEREI, Oranienplatz 2 - 10999 Berlin

On the occasion of the launch of his new book *Law versus Power*
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37158948/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
, internationally renowned lawyer Wolfgang Kaleck
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37158949/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
 will discuss with Nadja Vancauwenberghe
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37158950/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
, Publisher and Editor in Chief of *Exberliner*
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37158951/df16aeaf470f-plirrx
, today‚s challenges and opportunities in the struggle for human rights.
More information here.
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37158952/df16aeaf470f-plirrx

http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37158953/df16aeaf470f-plirrx

SUPPORT ECCHR

Donations help us to remain financially and politically independent. With
your donation you support our independence and our fight for a world free
from torture, repression and exploitation.

http://mailings.ecchr.eu/c/37157537/df16aeaf470f-plirrx

 If you do no longer wish to receive these e-mails to (an: imc-presse at lists.nadir.org) you can
unsubscribe HERE
http://mailings.ecchr.eu/rmftlp.php?cid=0&mid=11192686&h=0-df16aeaf470f-plirrx
 for free.

European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights e.V. (ECCHR)
Zossener Str. 55-58, Staircase D
D-10961 BERLIN
Germany

+ 49 (0)30 - 695060 0