[Spotykach] Council of Europe funding

Laure cube at zigzag.pl
Tue Jun 28 20:26:33 CEST 2005

Well, as one of those making a (self-funded) conference critical of the Council of Europe, I should be critical of taking money from them, but I am not going to be so judgemental if it means the difference between coming and not coming for some eastern europeans.

A lot depends on the consequences of taking the money; if there are none, I see no problem with it. In the situations however where people must submit reports, many personal details etc. to get money, or when they have to but the "sponsored by" label on every piece of written material, I would feel iffy. That's me personally - I don't know how others feel.

An example of how this "sponsored by" thing works is that, for example in Poland, people start seeing some things as sponsored by the EU, so they assume the EU is a charitable, human-rights promoting organization. For example, materials for refugees are sponsored by the EU while at the same time, the refugee problem is greatly increased by its policy.

In general I try to avoid funding from such institutions but at times this leads to a total financial disaster where you can't carry out something, so again, I don't want to be too judgmental being this has to be east-west and some money is necessary. But a lot depends on the application and implementation.

I also was wondering if Fabian can tell more details on his experiences.

Laure