[Pressrelease] G8 summit: Third protest-bycicle-caravan starts today in Gent/Belgium

Presswork G8 2007 (english) gipfelsoli-presse-en at lists.nadir.org
Fri Apr 27 17:08:10 CEST 2007

Pressrelease of the bycicle-caravan info-office in Rostock, Germany:

G8 summit: third protest bycicle caravan starts today in Gent/Belgium

With the slogan “wheels for change- ensure capitalism becomes history”
the western bycicle caravan starts as the third of the 5 caravans agasist
the g8-summit in Heiligendamm/Germany today its actions with a critical
mass[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass] through the city of
gent/belgium.
“We count on starting with around 20 people, but we expect that much more
people will join!” Sida Singer said “Together we want to set a signal
against neoliberalism, exploitation, racism, pollution and everybody who
shares our ideas is welcome. We want to raise awareness among the people and
let them dream about a livable future for every human in this world, and
this is worth fighting for.”

During their follwing tour of around 1300 kilometers the activists coming
from different countries will take part in bicycle demonstrations
“critical masses”, theatres and other political actions.
On the route through cities like Antwerpen, Nijmegen, Gronau/Ahaus,
Muenster, Hamburg and Gorleben they will deal with subjects related to the
meeting of the G8. These are for instace the racist migrationpolitics of
fortress europe, genetic manipulation and exploitation of the earth, and the
involvement of the G8 in wars all over the world, for instance in
Afghanistan or Iraq.

The events and actions are prepared by supporters hosting the caravan at
different stations.“We want to use our time together for exchange and to
build networks with various local groups from different backgrounds” Paula
Farin explains.
The cyclists do not want to take part in the whole neoliberal circus and the
division of people along racist and economic criteria. They consider the
caravan as a place for experiments where they can realize their ideas and
ideals (even if only temporarily). The aim is to create a non-hierarchical
structure during the ride, allowing people to learn and act in a
self-organised manner. The caravan wants to make it possible for all people
to participate, regardless of money, bicycle, physical condition or papers.

Local Kontakt
karavaan07 at yahoo.co.uk

bycicle caravan info-office Rostock, Knut Rassmussenstr. 8, 18106 Rostock,
Tel: 0049-179-6268785