[Pressrelease] g8 summit: second protest bycicle caravan starts today in Stockholm

Presswork G8 2007 (english) gipfelsoli-presse-en at lists.nadir.org
Wed Apr 25 14:21:04 CEST 2007

Pressrelease of the bycicle-caravan-infooffice in Rostock, Germany

g8 Summit: second protest bicycle caravan starts today in Stockholm

As closer as we get to the g8-summit, the protest becomes larger.
After the East bicycle caravan, which started 2 weeks ago in Budapest,
a second caravan started today in Stockholm/Sweden. The activists
will do the 1000 km long distance to Heiligendamm, where the
g8-summit takes place in the beginning of June, in little more than
one month by bicycle.

Their route goes through Southern Sweden to Malmö.
There the caravan crosses the border to Denmark and goes via
Copenhagen and
Odense to the German border, which will be crossed on 18th May.
On the 24th May the scandinavian caravan will unite with
the West caravan in Hamburg/Germany. West caravan people met in Gent/
Belgium yesterday to prepare for the tour, which will officially
start on the 27th April with a Critical Mass (radical form of bicycle
demonstration).

"With these bicycle caravans we want to inform about the dependence
between the politics of the g8 and the local struggles of the people
living and acting along our route", Franz Farin says, participant of the
caravan. "In order to delegitimate the g8, we invite the people to
join either the actions in Heiligendamm,
or to build local networks of resistance. Together we perform an
international agenda of protests against capitalism, racism, war and
poverty. Beside these global issues, we try to organise our protest
caravan in a non-hierarchical, self-determinated way", Farin explains
furthermore.

One week ago the east caravan entered the Czech Republic is now in Poland
During the bordercrossing they did some disturbance in form of a clownsarmy
In Bratislava, Brno und Pardubice the eastcaravan worked together with local
groups, which also mobilises to Heiligendamm. The anti G8-festivals in these
cities had been successful
and miotivatwed the people to bring their protest issues to Heiligendamm

On the last 150 km of the route, all caravans will go together: From
the bombing exercise area in Wittstock towards the military airport in
Rostock-Laage. In both places antimilitarist actions will take place. The
coordination office in Rostock expects several hundreds of bicycle
activists, who want to participate in disturbing the airport-arrival
of the g8 with mass actions.

For detailed information please contact the bike caravans directly
East caravan: + 420721010670
West caravan: gr8chaoskaravaan07 at lists.so36.net
Scandinavian caravan: cykelanarkister at gmail.com

bycicle caravan Info-office Rostock, Knut Rasmussenstr 8, 1806 Rostock, Tel.
0049-179-6268785