[Spotykach] intercultural knowledge

Zaczek zaczek at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 12:24:27 CET 2006

Hi Olga. I practiced my German on this text, so it took me a while to read.

This text seems very general and naive, like from a tourist guide. I
think left radical
activists need their own guide about potential pitfalls in communication.
Also some recommendations like "don't joke about the pope in Poland" are kind
of  conformist. Of course people would be offended, but who cares? Pope is dope!

The most common misunderstandings i have encountered in contacts with
German speaking activists were about:

- understanding what is the "left scene" and what is "communism"
- attitude towards deportations of German civilians from Poland and
towards organizations in Germany that act on behalf of the descendents
of the deportees
- misunderstandings about the extent of time and effort needed to
prepare events properly
- irritation about mixing private conversations and jokes with
organizing talk on meetings

Some of those points apply to contacts with other West Europeans and
Americans as well.

I think the best "glue" for multi-cultural comunication is a common
framework of ideas and enough exposure and cooperation with people
from other countries. Many times,
this doesn't "click" and immigrants who are political activists don't
integrate in the local
political scene (case of Polish squatters in London, Barcelona, and
possibly in Berlin to some extent for example). When asked why, they
don't really provide convincing answers.

Greets,
Zaczek