[Spotykach] misunderstandings between east and west

Karl-Heinz Thier K.Thier at gmx.com
Tue Dec 13 11:51:50 CET 2005

There are various cultures on earth, even in your country, your society. So whenever you feel some response inadequate, you might have left your culture already. I had to learn for example that Polish baby boys wear pink and baby girls light blue, just the opposite in Germany, and that Polish people celebrate their Saint's day, not their birthday, just the opposite in Germany, in protestant Germany actually.

Answering Jane's questions from my point of view:

  1.. "How are you?" "Fine, thanks", I would answer to a stranger, as the British would do. Only to a close friend, I would tell in what a trouble I am. However, usually, I say "Hello" to everybody.
  2.. Philosophically speaking, for me, there are no friends. First, because this implies there are also enemies which I doubt ("enemies" are people made insane by capitalism). Second, beacause capitalism destroys communities, produces egotism and isolation. I can't deny, though, that some people like me, and that I am on friendly terms with some people.
  3.. As I said, I share my problems with very few people. I take "Everything will be alright" as a refusal to listen.
  4.. I don't measure friendship by gifts, but by readiness to listen.
  5.. I like children more than dogs, and take the opposite as an indication of insanity. Usually, I don't bury my emotions in my heart, even to a stranger.
  6.. No, I am not Chinese. When I feel bad, I don't smile.
  7.. A high-pitched voice is medically, I think, a sign of irritation.
  8.. As for me, barter and money are the origins of capitalism, I wouldn't judge people by them. As a trade unionist, I don't ask for pittance, but for a fair share, I fight for my share, I don't beg for tips (so I don't give tips either).
  9.. For a human life in dignity, neither needs ought to be of working your way from rags to riches, nor needs be of being of being on a waiting list.There is plenty for everybody. Nobody needs more than he/she can eat. Everybody ought to be able to have a good life from the start. Yes, capitalism started by robbery, and flourishes by subtle robbery. The trouble is that Soviet Union people no longer think they have a right to an apartment and good living, not even on a waiting list. To a certain extent, the Soviet Union was just the other side of the coin of capitalism: They didn't abolish property altogether, they only abolished private property. Christians are also taught modesty and self-sacrifice for the sake of heaven. We have these intial forms of capitalism in Russia and in China, now. Mankind has experienced  alaready where this leads up to. "Wasting" money on friends and relatives is a remnant of an ancient culture which did without barter and money. Relying on a network of friends and relatives is such a remnant, too. That's why a majority of people in East Germany defy capitalism. But as long as they have no alternative, they won't be able to resist.
This is my contribution to the discussion. But, mind you, I am not a representative German.

Karl-Heinz