[Spotykach] stereotypes exchange (films)

jane mitchell janemitchell at hellokitty.com
Wed Oct 26 21:17:39 CEST 2005

Dear Olha,

the film project is definately a good one, i think it is definately a good way of getting people talkig because it is something everyone will have experienced, also not only in creating stereotypes intended for a foreign audience but 'internal' mythmaking based on cultural stereotypes.
>From Australian film I can compare this with something really crappy- "Crocodile Dundee" making such an extreme perversion of 'Australian man' intended to fit American stereotypes,versus a comedy that was locally very popular- the Castle, which fitted Australian ideas of their 'type' (but actually I can say I love this film and I havent found any non-Australian who finds it funny)
I dont suppose anyone has much of an interest in the Australian thing, but Czech films often  do pretty much the same thing, and with a very similar cultural type- provincial, naive, honest and  as a result of all that very charming and loved by audiences.
By comparison Russian charachters are almost without exception: men- involved in criminal activity or the ruthless type, women- willing to compromise morals for money or passport possibilities.  My friend pointed out that for many czechs this is the idea of 'the east', and that in other countries czechs are represented in exactly the same way due to their 'east-ness'.
something on a similar topic is the 'ethnic comedy' thing in 'western countries'- for example Australia has a big Greek community and a greek-australian stage play 'wogs out of work' parodying greek-australian (stereotypes)was immensely popular and spawned a tv programme (Akropolis now), and more recently self parody mixed with playing up on stereotypes amongst the lebanese community with a comedy series 'fat pizza', made by australian- lebanese.
in england as I understand it pretty much the same thing happened with 'goodness gracious me' from the asian diaspora.
I dont know if there is a german-turkish equivalent or soemthing from other countries, but could be something to talk about.
anyway, on another subject, I dont know if i have to reply anywhere to say about coming to the potsdam conference,if i do please tell me- anyway, i will be in touch before then, look very much forward to seeing you (all)
jane!