[Spotykach] Understanding/conference

olhas olhas at web.de
Sat Aug 13 10:24:51 CEST 2005

>What about well-known, well-funded, English-speaking intellectuals
>like Kagarlitsky who are elites in their countries dominating the
>Eastern presence at Western meetings? :-)

I can only intuitively agree in a sense that I see his name very
often on different events in Berlin where he seems invited and
paided. I have many books of him at home and consider him like one of
those intelectuals who catched his topic very well and uses a
"tusovka effect" (having contacts on the west and keeping plus using
them for himself) to be invited everywhere and also due to strange
western activists/organizers aproach (invite always the same
aprobated person to the analogical events). Maybe it also has
something to do with exclusion/inclusion which supposed to be
discussed in below mentioned conference. The topic seems to be very
close towards what we discuss but more on academical level. Maybe
someone from you can participate there. I would like to but cause of
my baby its less likely I would get there. Please have a look.

regards, Olga

Distrib. by: Central-Eurasia-L - Announcement List for Central
Eurasian Studies

CONF./CFP- Inclusion/Exclusion, 7th Graduate Conference, Feb. 2006,
London

7th Postgraduate Conference: Inclusion/Exclusion

Web: http://www.ssees.ucl.ac.uk/pgconf06.htm

London, 16-18th February 2006

The boundary changes that have occurred in Central and Eastern Europe
over the past two hundred years have been far greater than any that
have taken place in Western Europe during the same period. This
conference seeks to address the issues of inclusion and exclusion
that have arisen from these boundary changes. The boundaries of
Central and Eastern Europe have been constantly contested from within
and without and continue to shift and evolve in the wake of the fall
of communism. This perpetual change is reflected through the
redefinitions and realignments of identities within the region. The
challenge of the expansion of the European Union in the new century
represents a key factor in the ongoing processes of regional
realignment. Every aspect of identity within the new members, the
*old* EU  countries, the candidate states, as well as the regions
excluded from the process has to be reasserted in the face of these
dynamics.

At the heart of this evolving process of redefinition or reassertion
lie the notions of *exclusion* and *inclusion*. These concepts inform
current debates at all levels of European society, from the attempted
spread of democracy beyond the old borders, to the exclusion of
minority groups from mainstream economic, political and social
activity or the place of minority languages in the new enlarged
Europe. The lingua franca imposed by information technology threatens
to exclude those who do not have at least a passive knowledge of
English. This may also contribute to a new barrier between the old,
once influential intellectuals of the region and young cosmopolitan
intellectuals. The re-evaluation of history, especially that of the
twentieth century, may also have a destabilising impact on the old
narratives and intellectual certainties that have shaped our
understanding of Central and Eastern Europe.

This conference is inviting young academics to submit papers that
discuss current phenomena of inclusion and exclusion in the countries
and regions of Central and Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet
Union, including but not limited to the following themes: Historical:
Pre-communist, Communist-led and Post-communist Nationalisms, Ethnic
Cleansing from the Middle Ages onwards, Jewish Emancipation, Women's
Education, Women before, during and after Communism, Fascist and
Communist Politics of Exclusion.

Cultural: Purism, Lexical Cleansing, Rewriting History, Fine and
Performance Art, Popular Culture, Media, Boundary Reshuffling and
Canon Redefinition, The Impact of Poststructuralist/ Postmodern
Thought, National Revival, National Collapse, Religion.

Political: Power Relations and Agency, New Feminisms in Central and
Eastern Europe, Migration, Political Exclusion, Security, Democratic
Transformation, Integration and Hard Border Regimes.

Economic: Health, Welfare and Inequality, Human Capital and the
Knowledge Economy, Corruption and Informal Practices, Economic Growth
and Development, Business and Entrepreneurship, Corporate Governance.

Social: Insiders and Outsiders in Historical Context, Minority
Relations, Gender Discrimination, Poverty, Citizenship, Health and
Education Reforms, Social Exclusion, The New Middle Class,
Traditional Classes - Peasantry, Intelligentsia and Workers.

We strongly encourage cross-cultural, cross-national and multi-
disciplinary perspectives, with entries on new research methodologies
welcomed.

The Committee invites post-doctoral and graduate students in the
Humanities and Social Sciences to submit original research papers for
discussion. Invitation is not limited to academics; we would also
like to invite professionals with sound academic backgrounds and
academic interests.

Paper abstracts of up to 500 words and a curriculum vitae should be
sent with full contact details (E-mail, Telephone, Postal Address)
to:
         pgconference at ssees.ucl.ac.uk
and/or to
         7th Postgraduate Conference,
         School of Slavonic and East European Studies,
         University College London,
         Senate House, Malet Street,
         London, WC1E 7HU, UK.

Presented papers should not exceed 20 minutes in length, and must be
in English. The Conference will provide online training in paper
presentation  (live 1st November 2005). A selection of the best
papers will appear in a separate Conference publication.

Deadline for submission of abstracts: 31st August 2005

Senior Academic Advisers: Christopher J. Gerry, Geoffrey A. Hosking,
George Kolankiewicz, Alena Ledeneva, Robert Pynsent, Martyn Rady