[Spotykach] Eurovision

olgaBat! olhas at web.de
Mon May 23 15:07:27 CEST 2005

Hi,
since I am looking last time for events which under the logo "Euro"
produced between Eastern and Western Europe, I could not give some
attention to Eurovision song contest which this year took place in
Kiev. It was ESPECIALLY interesting to keep under attention THE FACT how
the Ukrainian authorities would make it "for Europe". Of course, old
ex-soviets habits were present everywhere staring with so called
"pokazuha" (Rus.) or "hypocrisy" when the show was done in bright
colors in the country which GOES THROUGH another post-orange crisis
(jumping UP prices on main products, less income, oil crisis,
political disaster with new ruling clique which still cannot divide
the power in upper structures etc due TO THE big ambitious and old
totalitarian approach to do things). The fact that "democracy" was not
really wining there but even worth: it took its strange form of
"chameleons" with orange color as main sign of "have right to exist"
cause of December events. The best
example for it is the violently imposed the song "Razom nas bagato" (
so called hymn of oranges)
which was in last moment replaced in final voting instead of
JAnukovych supporter and first pretendent of the winner Anni Lorak
(ala Ruslana local pop-star).Of course, the plagiat of Grindzholy band
( http://www.umka.com.ua/ukr/catalogue/1298/ which was made into
something horrible http://www.umka.com.ua/ukr/catalogue/1537/ which
shifted the Ukraine from the 1st place (Ruslana) into last one which
is not surprisingly and it deserved. Even so that I am not care about
it really but the fact that such political intervention into cultural
vents very remind old soviet ideological dictatur style which is
together with appearing president Juschenko with his "special"
Ukrainian golden price (have done really in the style of soviet greet
with medals anything possible) maybe raised confusion/surprise for
international public, but for me it was just a heavy feeling: my God,
how long this "brezhnevism" will still be alive.First the
participants of orange revolution (those from above of course) made
and gave themselves special medals: "hero of orange revolution"
(including Juschenko), then his wife for inauguration took from the the
 historical museum the expensive brooch as a symbol of wealth (only not
 clear whose) and now super-expensive golden sign as perhaps symbol of
 hospitality for the winner under the  meaning according to Juschenko
 words: for best song of United Europe as the Ukraine would be
 there...anyway the row of shocking things not has the end when I speak
 about Ukrainian hypocrisy. But not less supervised me Polish
 pop-lovers-audience: they gave the best mark also fo the super-ugly
 singing Ukrainian band. What that: also political solidarity or
 solidarity of tasteless? About the real taste Eurovision maybe is not
 the best place to look for but why its only interesting to look
 because there really overcross on my opinion those Ost-West clichesS
 about how pop-art supposed to Beth Southeast
 national/ethno/sexopil orientation and Western more cold-form of rok
 and shlagers. The greatest example is a deep (once more) disapointing
 of Gracia (German representative) who togather with huge audience in
 Germany could not coope with the situation of being last one.
 This disapointing and misunderstanding of what is acctually going on
 on the East, which strange standarts are there and esspecially,
 because they considered to be liked by majority in the Europe: not
 matter if it Ruslanas Carpatian ethno-rythms or Greeks ala sertaki
 elements in the songs or something else which South-East full of with
 following exploition of energy. Only if this energy politically
 correct, where to put it? How interpreted it? This is what partly
 also hangs inbetween East and West to understand and answer? I would
 be interesting what other think or feel about it and how the
 Eurovision was sound in otehr coutries. Unfortunatly I did
 not manage to form my thoughts in articles kind of frame, sorry. I
 just share my brief thoughts about what has happened "on the stage and
behind it" in Kiev, in the city which I like very much and feel like
cannot silence what they do over there.....

with best regards, Olga

--
Best regards,
 olgaBat!                          mailto:olhas at web.de