[Spotykach] two worlds

Olha olhas at web.de
Mon Mar 28 04:28:32 CEST 2005

here some suggestions (also some might be rasist according to cultural
heredity) I have got from other people. Send pls your sugestions if something
come to the minds to find a best solutin.
Olga

In German there is a saying "Es sind zwei Welten", when people are really quite
far apart.
"ich verstehe nur Bahnhof"
"You what?"
"Sorry, what was that?"
"Didn't get that!" (habs nicht kapiert)
"To get it or not to get it..."
"Sounds like double-dutch to me" ("das waren für mich böhmische Dörfer",
Kauderwelsch - in deutsch)
"You what? Tower of Babel?"
"Can you say that again in Pidgin so I might understand it?"
" I think we got our wires crossed" (meaning we don't understand each other)
ie. getting your wires crossed
"He speaks a bit of a gobbledeegook, but it certainly ain't English - not even
flipping Thames Estuary." (Thames Estuary refers to the wider expanse of the
Thames where a peculiar London accent is spoken. Most punk groups came from
London and sang in that dialect, - like Sex Pistols, the Clash, the Adverts,
the Slits etc.)
"Sounds chinese to me"
"Wasn't exactly music to my ears." "Sounds like Fritz or Frog or something like
that." "He sounds Swedish, well, maybe Dutch." (polite
description of a heavy German accent in front of a German person)
He has kissed some blarney stone! kissing the blarney stone (or how not to be
silent in 180 languages)
(Ironic - to kiss the blarney stone means having the 'gift of the gab', ie.
being very eloquent,
goes back to an Irish stone which promises eternal eloquence and pilgrims go
there and kiss it, then holding forth - i.e philosophising - in alcoholic
stupour. I think I passed the blarney stone when I was in Ireland. (one has to
kiss it upside down, sort of standing on one's head. That's typically Irish.
probably catholic-irish.)